Order by 5 pm PST for same-day shipping
Free USPS Priority Mail shipping on orders over $50 and a 120-day money-back guarantee
High-quality 1.75mm HIPS filament (1.0kg / 2.2lbs.)
High-impact Polystyrene - HIPS is useful as support material for ABS. Great as break-off support or dissolvable support.
In most cases, HIPS will simply break away from ABS without any treatment.
For complex prints, with hard-to-reach supports, HIPS dissolves with d-Limonene and softens with PineSol.
For best looking results, we offer color-matched Prototype Supply ABS Plastic Filament which works very well when paired with this HIPS.
HIPS can also be used for general printing.
- Most printers with 1.75mm extruders and hot-ends, with a heated print bed.
- Makerbot Replicator 2X, Replicator, and Thing-o-Matic w/ Mk7 Stepstruder
- Fusion3 F306
- FlashForge Creator and Dreamer series printers.
- Wanhao Duplicator 4-series printers.
- Afinia H-Series
- Up! Mini, Plus, and Plus2
- Solidoodle Model 3, Model 2
- MakerGear M2
- BrandPrototype Supply
- Full nameHigh Impact Poly Styrene
- What is it?HIPS adds some impact modifiers to polystyrene which would otherwise be too brittle for use in 3D printing. Although more brittle, HIPS is otherwise very similar to ABS when used for 3D printing. HIPS and ABS adheres fairly well to each other during dual-material printing, so that the part tends to stay together during build time. Support structures made with the more brittle HIPS is easy to break off and remove. Any remaining HIPS can be dissolved with d-Limonene (citrus oil) which generally does not affect the ABS.
- Recommended solventD-Limonene Acetone
- Made withPetrochemicals
- Glass temperature (Tg)104 C
- Recommended extruder temperature (varies by printer)235-265 C
- Shrinkage when cooling to room temperatureHigh
- Recommended heated bed temperature (varies by printer)90-110 C
- Shrinkage when cooling to elevated ambient temperatureModerate
- Recommended filament packing densityPD=0.86